As mentioned in one of my last posts, at the beginning of this year, I had no idea my life would be where it is now, just eight months later. In January, everything was right on track. We had sold our townhome and were on the prowl for a new home in another city, eventually putting in an offer on one and making the move on February 13. Soon after, we had decided we were ready to have a baby. Since I had my own business (lime | custom design+photography), I worked from home, making it the perfect scenario for bringing home a baby. Just how we wanted it to work out… I would continue to work but be able to be home with our screaming kid. But that all changed in April when I was told my business partner would be leaving our company. Hearing those words felt like life crumbling around me. I was speechless and didn’t know what direction to turn. We had just bought a house and taken on a bigger mortgage, had countless projects to take care of at a new house (gutters, sprinklers, and other things that are b-o-r-i-n-g), and most of all, had hoped to have a baby soon. I felt sick and robbed of all of that, knowing I wouldn’t have a job.

Life went on as it does and I knew something would work out. It always does.


I continued to do photography and small design projects while I dusted of my resumé and began applying for jobs. Who knew doing that would be so scary? Just the thought of going back out into the world, into unfamiliar territory, and working with new people, totally freaked me out. I was happy and comfortable the way it was and didn’t want to leave Lucy for eight hours a day. I didn’t want to sit in an office again. And having a regular work schedule (8-5) with my husband’s afternoon schedule (4p-2a) meant that we’d rarely see each other. It didn’t take long to come to the realization that such is life and I needed to stop the self-pity party. Soon I was eager and excited to get back out there and be passionate about a job again. I had one interview (in the motorcycle industry) and totally winged it because, quite frankly, I wasn’t interested. But it was a starting point. Needless to say, they weren’t interested in me either because I didn’t get offered the position. Fine by me.

I wanted a job that meant something to me and resonated with my life. A job that would enliven me and fill me with joy rather than dread and crabbiness. Hunting, no. Motorcycles, no (given the fact that every time I’m on one, I think “I might die today.”).

Then I saw the job posting for a senior graphic designer at Anytime Fitness corporate. I immediately applied for the position via Fitness industry, awesome. Ten minutes from my house, double awesome. While I was in Colorado, I received a notification saying an email didn’t go through to an email address at Anytime. My heart sank, but I immediatley copied the address and sent a message asking if they’d received my resume. Crickets. I didn’t hear anything for weeks until finally, that ever-awaited message arrived in my inbox! They had not received my resumé and asked to please resend and thanked me for the follow-up.

Days before receiving that email, while in conversation with another marketing associate, she mentioned she wouldn’t ever consider hiring a graphic designer with a boring resumé. Crap, mine was boring. At this point, I was glad AF hadn’t received my resumé after all. I spend three straight hours quickly redesigning it into something fantastic and sent it off to AF as soon as I possibly could. I heard back within days and got set up with a phone interview. (He even mentioned how great my resumé was and that it really caught their eye!) In the meantime, I contacted HR friends and got all the advice I possibly could. I typed up the sample questions one friend said they would likely ask, I wrote my answers, and researched the company as much as I could — I was determined to get the position!!

I killed the phone interview (well, I like to think I did). 🙂 We spoke for a half hour and had not only an interview, but great conversation. I felt good. Within a few days, I got another call back asking me to come in for an in-person interview. I had hoped for no more than two people interviewing me, but walked into five smiling faces. And each one was beyond kind and welcoming. I presented my business card project (homework they gave me for the interview process) and they loved it! Again, I felt like the interview went really really well and walked out the doors with crossed fingers and toes, and a smile on my face.

To cut down an already long story, I was offered the position and here I am today! I’m just wrapping up my fourth week on the job and am loving it. Attending a Twins game (first time at the new stadium for me!) on the Budweiser Rooftop deck the other night, courtesy of AF, is just one of the many perks of the company…

sure is 🙂


2 thoughts on “BEGINNINGS.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s